Ancillary Probate

Los Angeles Ancillary Probate Attorneys

Assisting Clients With Legal Matters Out Of State

At Scott D. Fisher, A Professional Law Corporation, we know that many of the clients who we serve own properties in states other than California. If you have a vacation home, cabin, or rental property outside of California, then you need to speak to our dedicated legal team to discuss how to handle, and properly plan for, out of state probate matters when you pass away. The probate process in California is already complicated, but having to deal with probate in another state will require unique guidance and direction from a seasoned lawyer to ensure that your loved ones’ best interests are protected.

Ancillary Probate Explained

While the purpose of an ancillary probate action is similar to a standard probate action, the process for resolving this important legal matter is subject to the laws of the state where specific types of property are located. For instance, if you primarily live in California but own real property within Colorado, the real property in Colorado will be distributed to your beneficiaries in accordance with that state’s probate laws, and will require “ancillary probate administration” within that state.

Opening Ancillary Probate Proceedings

The current Executor of the estate must initiate ancillary probate proceedings when s/he discovers that the decedent also owned assets in another state, and in order to legally transfer such assets to the rightful beneficiaries.

The Executor must file the proper petition for ancillary probate proceeding with the court and must also provide notice of such proceedings to the beneficiaries and other interested parties.

How Do I Avoid Ancillary Probate?

Ancillary proceedings are not only time consuming, but they can also prove expensive because it will require the Executor to deal with two separate court proceedings in two different states. If your goal is to transfer out of state property without requiring an ancillary probate proceeding, you need to reach out to our experienced probate lawyer, Scott D. Fisher, so that he can review the details of your estate and explain all of your available options under applicable state law.

Efficient & Reliable Probate Representation

Scott D. Fisher, A Professional Law Corporation has developed a stellar reputation as the “one-stop” source for all of your estate planning needs, including administration of ancillary probate matters. Our compassionate and knowledgeable legal team can assist if you have property out of state, or if you live in another state and need to transfer property that is located within the State of California.

To set up a consultation with our skilled legal professionals, please give us a call today at (323) 989-4860.

The Stories That Matter Client Reviews
"He strives to understand his clients' needs, provides options, and delivers the results sought."

Scott Fisher is an amazing attorney. He strives to understand his clients' needs, provides options, and delivers the results ...

- Rozita Yacobi

Why Hire Scott D. Fisher?

Experience That Counts
  • Dedication
    We are dedicated to helping our clients find the best possible resolution through our legal expertise and guidance.
  • Affordable
    We offer free consultations and take online payments for your convenience.
  • In-Home Visits
    We understand that circumstances arise that may prevent your travel to our office. We will travel to you, if necessary.
  • Flexibility
    We offer after-hour and weekend appointments to meet your busy schedule.
  • Bilingual Team
    Our team is bilingual and services clients in English and Spanish.
  • Experience
    Scott D. Fisher has over 30 years of experience serving clients throughout all of Southern California.

Ready To Plan Your Future?

Contact Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your city.
  • Please select a state.
  • Please enter your liquid capital available.